There’s a good reason brick has been in use for hundreds of years and in so many capacities. It’s as multifaceted a product as they come. Bricks are favored by masons for their strength and adaptability, and beloved by homeowners for their classic (and sometimes rustic) charm. But did you know that they come in three popular sizes?
Modular: 3 1/2″ X 7 5/8″ X 2 1/4″
Oversize: 3 1/2″ X 7 5/8″ X 2 3/4″
Queen: 2 3/4″ X 7 5/8″ X 2 3/4″
Resulting in the comparison estimate of 7 modular bricks per square foot, and almost 6 (5.8) oversize and queen brick per square foot. Here are some other facts and basics about bricks.
- Brick texture can be altered to fit the needs of a project, including wire cut and torn face. Additional textures can be added by machine and with coatings.
- Distress texturing can be accomplished by mechanical methodology. Known as “tumbled brick,” machines can create a rustic look in a very short amount of time.
- Tumbled brick, which is often distressed so that they are individually unique per unit, are usually manipulated in texture by being tossed down a ramp by hand after production. The result is “old world” and one-of-a-kind.
- Like all pavers, brick colors can vary greatly. The premise for a base color is contingent on the firing process, temperature, slurry, clays, and other materials inherent and added to the mixture.
- It is possible to clean brick quite effectively, no matter the age. Simply clean the wall with a wire brush to remove debris; soak the area you wish to clean with water; add a brick cleaning product; follow the instructions; rinse throughly.
Looking for a stone supplier in the Washington metro area? Then look no further! Irwin Stone has been providing Washington area homeowners, contractors, professional landscapers and masons with a large variety of stone products for over seventy years. Irwin’s commitment to quality products and outstanding customer service sets it apart from its competitors. Contact us for more information on how we can help you.